| Design Considerations
And questions to ask yourself if you want a
stained / leaded window, skylight, door surround, etc.
- Where do I want to put the piece?
- size & other considerations - is it a panel or a door, light box, skylight ...
Will there be other glass behind it or other structural considerations.
- if a light box - the actual lighting to be used must be discussed in
the design process.
- framing - this is a structural consideration - stained/leaded glass is
heavy and wants a substantial frame around it - for support and
- Do I want to be able to see through all or part of the piece -
block or modify the light
- Do I want clear or clear textures, tints, strong colors -
- Do I want a specific design style
- Have I seen something I like - as overall design or a section or a
- or want to match or compliment - a fabric, rug design, building
- favorite colors, flowers, animals
- a specific feeling for the piece
Much of all these questions can be answered as we go along - they are
offered as things to think about at the beginning - but do not need to
be answered before we start - my process will elicit the answers as we
go along - as my many happy clients will attest to.
Sources to find style and other pictorial references:
Look around and there are many design ideas in your life now - fabrics,
ceramics, motifs, design elements that you have already chosen.
- for new ideas - the BEST place - your Library - look in architectural
styles, pictorial history of places, designers, artists, style books,
artistic movements, of course - stained glass, leaded glass in each of
these areas. ... in specific, Dover books have many books that could
give you ideas.
AND, of course, the web ...
|COPYRIGHT © 2006 BARBARA ARRINDELL